Poppy Estate was named for the Poppy family that homesteaded the property in 1905. They worked the acreage as a sheep farm until Dan Kitsul approached Bill Poppy Sr. in 1987 about leasing the property for the purpose of building a golf course. It was met with enthusiasm as the family wanted to ensure that the property remained green space.
Dan, along with his sons, Dale and Glenn, broke ground in early July, 1988. Lakes were dug, earth was moved and greens, tees and bunkers shaped. The course was ready for seeding by the end of September. Opening day was May 6, 1989 with many Poppy family members in attendance.